Radiomaker Jessie Borrelle sat down with Aden to discuss the play. Their conversation covered the following topics, among others:
- Radio play as an effective guise for parody
- Stereotyping bird species – are crows unfairly typecast
- How many times can we say interpretation
- Do genres like mockumentary work across all mediums
- What is a reasonable listening experience for creative audio
Hook yourself up with a cuppa and enjoy this insightful look into the world of ravens and radio plays.
Like a Writing Desk was written by Aden Rolfe, produced by Jane Ulman and Russell Stapleton, and directed by Jane Ulman, Aden Rolfe and Russell Stapleton, with sound and original composition by Russell Stapleton. The program was commissioned for radio broadcast by ABC RN’s Creative Audio Unit (CAU).
The Lifted Brow thanks the CAU for permission to feature these extracts from Like a Writing Desk, which was first broadcast on RN’s Radiotonic and can be heard in its entirety here.
Dive into our archives and read ‘Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk’, the original story on which the radio play was based.