Yesterday, the shortlist for the 2014 Scribe Nonfiction Prize for Young Writers was announced. The Lifted Brow is proud to have published five of the seven writers appearing on that list, so we’ve collected a few of their pieces here for your reading pleasure.
- An exploration of the adult themes of Adventure Time in The Lifted Brow: Digital, Volume Nine, Issue One: The Adventuring Edition ($).
- ‘The Honey Jar’, a tale of love, lust, and dark magic.
- A review of Emily Gould’s novel 'Friendship’.
- 'Bloody Horizons: Ivan Sen’s Mystery Road’, a film column from The Lifted Brow #20.
- 'Two or Three Things Auteurs Know About Auteurs’, a film column from The Lifted Brow #23 — The Ego Issue.
- A recommendation from The Lifted Brow #20.
- Patrick morphs into a mooncat in The Lifted Brow: Digital, Volume Eight, Issue One – The Comedy Edition ($).
The winner of the prize will be announced at the Express Media Awards at the Wheeler Centre on 4 December. Best of luck to all the writers shortlisted!
We’re always on the look out for sharp new writers, so if you have a pitch for us, please get in touch. (Please note, however, that submissions for the print magazine are currently closed, because we are reformatting before we relaunch in March 2015).
– The Lifted Brow