A little over ten years ago, The Lifted Brow started its life as a little A5-sized black-and-white magazine that you could buy for a mere six of your hard-earned dollarydoos. A lot has happened since then – we’ve passed on the editorial baton a few times, we’ve published over a thousand contributors, we’ve moved into book publishing, we’ve put on so many different events, we’ve run competitions, we’ve relocated from Brisbane to Melbourne to Sydney to Melbourne again and our staff now spread across the globe – but the aim of TLB remains much the same as it always was: to publish and showcase the very best prose and poetry and images that we can get our hands on.
To celebrate, we’ve put together an extra-special 10th birthday issue of the Brow for our readers. And that issue, our thirty-third, is out today!
What’s inside that beautiful blue cover by Wakana Yamazaki?
- nonfiction from Ellena Savage, Rebecca Harkins-Cross, Dion Kagan, Jana Perkovic, elena gomez, Emma Marie Jones, Agri Ismaïl, Jenan Taylor, Doug Paul Case, Anna Spargo-Ryan, Rebecca Jessen, Helen Addison-Smith, and Harry Saddler;
- fiction by Colin Winnette, Mira Schlosberg, David Oberg, and Carlos Yushimito (translated by Elizabeth Bryer);
- poetry by Joshua Jennifer Espinoza, Alison Whittaker, and Tolase Ajibola;
- a conversation between Joshua Jennifer Espinoza and Alison Whittaker;
- comics and artwork from Beatrix Urkowitz, Nicky Minus, Lee Lai, Amy Lockhart, Anya Davidson, D.W., Shay Colley, Lizzie Nagy, Rachel Ang, Phoebe Kahlo, Freda Chiu, José-Luis Olivares, Haein Kim, and Michael Theodorou;
- a brand new section: ‘By Numbers’ (with a big head-nod towards the famous Harper’s Index);
- and, as always, Benjamin Law and his mum Jenny’s sex and relationships advice column.
Yowsah, yowsah, yowsah – that’s some good #content! Tuck into this degustation of good stuff by finding your nearest stockist and picking up a copy, or by hitting up our online store. (Alternatively, you could give us the best 10th birthday present a magazine could ask for by subscribing – subscribers receive their copies before anybody else, and they get a 35% discount, and they support the magazine that supports the most interesting and thought-provoking writers and artists.)
Don’t forget: we’ll be launching this excellent issue and celebrating our 10th birthday at our aptly named 10th birthday party/TLB33 launch, which will happen on the 1st of April at Schoolhouse Studios in Collingwood, and to which you should absolutely, most definitely, come.