If you have ever picked up a copy of The Lifted Brow—or looked at a digital version—you’ll know the following fact to be true: in addition to excellent words, we also publish excellent visual art and comics. In order to do this, we need to find the very best visual art and comics around. So, guess what: we are now accepting submissions of comics and visual art!
Tell your friends! Tell your enemies! Tell yourself!
Some things you might like to know before sending us your work:
- We mostly publish comics and artwork that occupy full, single pages. Although: if you’re a strip-type artist or any other type of artist, rather than a page-oriented person, don’t hesitate to send us a few sample works (as always, unpublished) or pitches, as we’re always excited to hear about new ways to display work.
- We’re also really interested in publishing art and comics that are experimental, that are unlike anything that’s in print anywhere else. The more ambitious the better.
- If you’re interested in being commissioned for editorial illustration work, please submit about five graphics (smaller file sizes are better! do you think we’re made of hard-drive space?) that are the best examples of your work. (It’s much easier for us to keep your work in mind if we have some files than if you just send us a link to your website.)
- The absolute and pretty much only way for you to get a feel for the kind of comics and visual art we like to publish is by buying and reading a copy of the magazine, either in print or digital.
- We pay contributors.
- We’re always and forever most interested in work that focuses on things like gender, economics, politics, work, and sexuality – though we are indeed open to absolutely anything.
- While an Australian focus will sometimes be favoured (work by Australian artists, and/or about topics relevant to Australians), because we are an Australian-based publication that is facing out to the world, we’re open to work from anyone from anywhere and everywhere about everything and anything.
What are you waiting for? SEND US YOUR PRETTY PICTURES, WE MUST HAVE THEM.