Do you write non-fiction? Would you like to be published in the 35th issue of our flagship quarterly attack journal, The Lifted Brow? If so, we have some news for you: we’re looking for completed non-fiction pieces to publish in TLB #35!
Our 35th issue of The Lifted Brow is unthemed, but we’re always and forever most interested in writing that focuses on the arts, culture, gender/race/sexuality, ecology, economics, politics, work, and the like.
We encourage writers from all backgrounds to approach their non-fiction submissions boldly, deeply, and/or experimentally. Think big or small, but whatever you think, make sure it’s in keeping with what the we tend to publish (check out our latest issues or subscribe to best understand the work we like best).
While an Australian focus will be favoured, as we are an Australian-based publication that is facing out to the world, we’re open to anything from everywhere about everything.
We will look fondly upon:
- lyric and personal essays;
- narrative nonfiction and highly researched, investigative stories;
- comment pieces that blend the personal with the universal;
- long essays;
- playful theory;
- environmental, science and technology writing with a human and/or political element;
- memoir and other life writing;
- collected vignettes;
- and pieces that are perhaps uncategorisable, and that make imaginative use of the printed page.
Complete drafts of all submissions must be sent through by midnight Sunday 28 May, 2017. At this stage we are not looking for pitches for non-fiction work, but complete pieces.
Please submit all work here, via our Submittable – we really, truly do not accept submissions via email.
As always, the best way to understand the kind of work we like to publish is to read our magazine. You can grab a copy here, in print or digital format.
Any questions or queries can be emailed through to email@example.com.
TLB35 will be launched September 1st, 2017.
Some brief guidelines about writing for The Lifted Brow:
We particularly encourage people who identify as queer and/or trans and/or intersex and/or are of any colour, religion, or gender, and/or have a disability, to submit. There are of course no age limits.
You can submit as many pieces as you wish, though picking just that one piece that will knock our socks off is heartily encouraged. And please, only one piece per submission.
If you can, please follow our writing guidelines.
We look forward to hearing from you, and look even forwarder to reading your work.
A special note:
If you are not currently reading/have not ever read a copy of The Lifted Brow, then:
- perhaps you are a bit too parsimonious and short-cutty for us, as it is not that difficult to get your hands on our magazine, and it is a really good magazine (we promise);
- the chances are maybe a bit high that you will submit writing to us that is not what we are hunting for, because how would you know what we like to publish if you don’t read what we publish.
So, go on go on go on — just grab a copy and we’ll post it straight to you, or even subscribe, and do yourself the favour of not wasting your own time, and do us the favour of supporting the magazine that you would like to be published in. We want you as a reader first, and as a contributor second, because do you know how beautiful a transition that is?
(Really beautiful is the answer.)