The Best of THe Lifted Brow: Volume Two
The Best of The Lifted Brow: Volume Two celebrates five more years of the most idiosyncratic literary journal from Australia. The anthology includes essays on queer life, Aboriginal history, and the adult industry, as well as fiction that rewrites the Australian literary canon and poetry from some of the world’s best.
Volume Two features distinguished names from Australia and the world, such as Fiona Wright, Eileen Myles, Paola Balla, Peter Polites, Margo Lanagan, Upulie Divisekera, Darren Hanlon, Ryan O’Neill, and Margaret Atwood.
It also features the winner of the inaugural Prize for Experimental Nonfiction, several acclaimed longform essays, plus writing from Brow Books authors Briohny Doyle (The Island Will Sink, 2016) and Shaun Prescott (The Town, 2017).
This book is a perfect entry-point into the most interesting elements of Australia’s current literary culture, Volume Two is diverse, exciting, and isn’t afraid to ask the hard questions – an eclectic and significant collection that captures the sharp sense of humour and experimental sensibility for which the magazine is best known.
Volume Two is a follow-up to The Best of The Lifted Brow: Volume One (2013) which collected the best work from the first five years of The Lifted Brow magazine.
Buy the print edition from us here, or find it in any of your local Australian bookstores. (Some of our favourite stockists are listed here.)
LENGTH: 320 pp.
PUBLICATION DATE: Nov 2017
CONTRIBUTORS & CONTENTS
- ‘Get Me Out Of Here’ – Paola Balla
- ‘Interloping’ – Peter Polites
- ‘Sobriquet’ – Safia Elhillo
- ‘Anorectics Anonymous’ – Fiona Wright
- ‘Lines taken from love-related emails I wrote to people between 06 June 2005 and 18 December 2013’ – Ellena Savage
- ‘An Australian Short Story’ – Ryan O'Neill
- ‘Looking For Loretta’ – Briohny Doyle
- ‘Brief Accounts of Being on Holiday’ – Chris Somerville
- ‘The Vulnerable Phoenix’ – Adam Curley
- ‘Short Takes on Wolves’ – Margaret Atwood
- ‘The Right Kind of Blood’ – Rosanna Stevens
- ‘How to Find a Song using the Bounce of a Kangaroo’ – Darren Hanlon
- ‘The Necessary Ugliness of Sadistik Exekution’ – Shaun Prescott
- ‘Plum Tree’ – Pip Smith
- ‘Ain't No D in the DMZ’ – Nic Low
- ‘Two or Three Things Auteurs Know About Auteurs’ – Rebecca Harkins-Cross
- ‘A Brief History of Light’ – Upulie Divisekera
- ‘From “Notes for an Opening”’ – Wendy Xu
- ‘Dream Full of Dreams’ – Matthew Hickey
- ‘Adult Industry’ – Sam George-Allen
- ‘They Must Be Somewhere!’ – Zora Sanders
- ‘At Camelot’ – Nic Holas
- ‘By Desecration Rock’ – Margo Lanagan
- ‘So This One Time: Selected Outcall Whore Stories (2008-9)’ – Regrette Etcetera
- ‘Large Large White Flowers’ – Eileen Myles
- ‘Humans Pretending To Be Computers Pretending To Be Human’ – Oscar Schwartz
- ‘The Rules of Transaction’ – Dion Kagan
- ‘Six New Anecdotes’ – Wayne Macauley
- ‘The Critic in the Episode “Guilt”’ – Jana Perkovic
- ‘Let's Hear It For the Boys’ – Danez Smith
- ‘The Classroom’ – Eugenia Flynn
- ‘Australia Day’ – Khalid Warsame
PRAISE FOR THE BEST OF THE LIFTED BROW: VOLUME TWO
“The Lifted Brow regularly produces fresh and dynamic work from some of Australia's most talented writers and artists. Here, they have gathered together creative work absolutely vital to our cultural heartbeat.”
Tony Birch, author of Ghost River, Blood and Shadowboxing
“The Lifted Brow raises hackles with the freshest writing around. This collection is a marvellous showcase of this work.”
Phillip Adams, commentator and broadcaster
"How lucky we are to have The Lifted Brow – a game changer from its inception and an incubator for some of the world’s most compelling storytellers."
Michelle Law, writer and screenwriter